1/2 c. white basmatic rice
1/2 c. moong dahl, dried
1 inch block of ginger finely chopped
1 small handful of cilantro, coriander, finely chopped
1 TB of shredded unsweetened coconut
1 1/2 tsp. of ghee or butter
1/2-1 tsp. of turmeric
3 c. water
salt to taste
1. Wash the rice and dahl. What I did was put into a bowl. Cover with water. Run my hands through the mixture. Drain water off, fill again and repeat 3-4 times. You’ll notice all of the starch coming off of the rice.
2. Place washed rice and dahl into a bowl and cover with water and soak for about 2 hours
3. In a large sauce pan melt down the ghee.
4. You are supposed to blend the ginger, coriander, coconut and turmeric together into a liquid. However, I don’t have a blender…so I just added it to the ghee.
5. Strain the rice and dahl of any water.
6. Add to the saucepan and add the 3 c. of water
7. Boil for about 5 minutes, then cover (ajar) and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
I ate about 3/4 of a c. and that was plenty. I would say 1/2 a c. per serve with a salad is a good guess.