Today I went to the grocery store, because I needed to get cheese for tonights dinner…you’ll have to wait until later to know what it is. Let’s just say it’s going to be an experiment.
However, when I went into the grocery store there was this man outside who was been spoken with by security. He was probably, well looked, about 45-50, shaggy, homeless and suffering with mental illness. This illness was most likely coupled with substance abuse of some kind.
It got me thinking a lot about a lot of things.
- I am grateful that I have a roof over my head, that I don’t suffer from a mental illness
- What led to this decomposition of this human being?
- Are the police really the answer?
- Where do these people live?
- Is substance abuse prevalent in people with a mental illness?
- Does homelessness compound a mental illness and substance abuse?
So many questions ran through me head…where is the family?
I think it’s an interesting thing to think about as functional, clothed, housed, cashed up people of the world. Almost 20-40% of homeless people suffer mental illnesses, compared to 5% of the total population.
The next time, let compassion wash over you when you see those in the world struggling.