Black Beans for the Soul
1 c. of dried black beans
7 1/2 – 8 c. of water
1. In a tupperware container, or something that you can place a lid on, combine 1 c. of black beans and 3 c. of water. Let this soak overnight.
2. Once soaked place beans and water into a large sauce pan along with 5 c. of additional water, 1 large whole onion and 1/2 of a chili sliced up.
3. Place on high heat for 2+ hours.
4. Make sure to stir every 10-15 minutes and add addtional water while cooking.
5. Taste the beans after about 1 1/2 hours of boiling to see if they’re soft enough for you liking.
6. For refried beans you want there to be enough water that you can see it through the beans (that picture doesn’t have enough water and I had to add about a cup when blending them)
7. You can them them whole and enjoy–salt, seasoning, lime juice to your liking
8. Or you can place them into a blender, food processor or use an immersion blender to get ‘refried beans’.
If you wanted to add butter or bacon grease for a more rich flavour I’d add about 1 TB. Otherwise salt, lime juice and season away.